Looking Back At The Berlin Myfest 2015 Street Party – Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
A highlight of living in Berlin, is being able to enjoy local events that are different from anything that I’d ever experience in Toronto. Like the Occupy Berlin protest I attended several years ago, the Berlin Myfest is one such super fun happening.
Looking Back At The Berlin Myfest 2015 Street Party
Myfest is a big street fair that takes place every year in Berlin’s Kreuzberg on May 1, Labour Day. Myfest was started in 2003 by a group of locals to provide a peaceful and alternative option to the usual protests and riots that filled Berlin on this day.
Recommended reading: Another year, another memorable Myfest with friends. Check out, Experience Berlin Myfest 2018 in Photos.
You’ll find the streets filled with drunken party revellers, food and drink stands, demonstrators, balloons, confetti, an abundance of trash, beer bottle collectors pushing grocery store carts filled with bottles, and a strangely high number of people sporting mohawks. Music blares from different stages around the neighbourhood, and you’ll hear everything from hardcore heavy metal, to reggae, techno, and even Christian music (which seems oddly out of place.)
The police presence is heavy as they prepare to settle any potential rioting, and vehicle after vehicle is filled with officers on the ready.
Photos from the Party
Meeting up with my friend Adam (see his photos from Myfest) in the early afternoon, we wandered the streets taking photos, listening to music and, of course, eating and drinking.
Other fun highlights of the day included stopping at my friend’s new wine bar in Kreuzberg for a BBQ (complete with DJs) and meeting up with several other friends like Dan and Audrey from Uncornered Market.
All in all, it was just another great day in Berlin and why I’m so happy to call this crazy and beautiful city my home.
What do you think our Berlin Myfest 2015? Have you been to this street party? Tell us about in the comments below.
Good To Know
1) Coming to Berlin for the party and need a place to crash. Check out places to stay.
2) Make your time in Berlin all the more fun and try a guided tour.
3) If you dig our Germany content, check out some of our reader’s favourite posts.
- An Afternoon Walk Through the City With These Frankfurt Photos – Spending an afternoon exploring the German city, these Frankfurt photos highlight the modern skyline, museum embankment, Old Town, & more.
- Berlin Christmas Market Guide, Weihnachtsmarkt Schloss Charlottenburg – One of Berlin’s most beautiful Christmas markets is set at the foot of the city’s largest castle, the Schloss Charlottenburg.
- Who’s Bad? The Michael Jackson Memorial In Munich, Germany – The Michael Jackson Memorial Munich has been long maintained by adoring fans. Some locals would love to see it go away.
If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.
*Disclosure – This post contains some affiliate links. If you book a tour or hotel, I’ll earn a tiny commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support.