The Unvertical House In Sopot (aka The Drunken Or Crooked House) – Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Hmm. Was something wrong with my iPhone’s camera lens? Why was the building in front of me so distorted and funny looking. Nothing was wrong with my camera of course and what you see in the pictures here is indeed very real.
In my ongoing quest to find all things weird and offbeat, the Unvertical House in Sopot, Poland was a must-see when I spent a day exploring the city. Also, known as the Crooked House and even the Drunken House, this building is puzzling when glimpse it for the very first time.
The Unvertical House In Sopot (aka The Drunken Or Crooked House)
This rather boldly constructed building designed by Szotyńscy & Zaleski is located in Sopot, Poland on the country’s Baltic coast. The designers took inspiration for their unique creation from the fairy tale drawings of Jan Marcin Szancer and Per Dahlberg.
Built in 2004, the Unvertical House (Krzywy Domek in Polish) is actually a shopping center with stores and restaurants inside.
Although many publications (both online and in print) will inform you that the Unvertical House was actually inspired by the architecture of Antoni Gaudi, this is not correct. You can get the full low down on the building’s history by checking out the Krzywy Domek’ web site.
Recommended reading: Our profiles of other unusual places and things around Europe, like the Monument to the Unknown Bureaucrat in Iceland, the 10-Z Nuclear Shelter in Brno, and the House of the Black Madonna in Prague.
What do you think about this curious piece of architecture? Would you dare to step inside this trippy looking building?
Unvertical House (Krzywy Domek)
Bohaterów Monte Cassino 53, 81-767 Sopot, Poland
Good To Know
1) Find a place to stay while you’re visiting Sopot, Poland.
2) When you’re in Sopot, book a tour with Get Your Guide.
3) If you’re a fan of Poland, check out some of our other related content.
- How To Spend A Day At The Baltic Sea In Sopot, Poland – Get an impression of the Baltic Sea in Sopot, Poland in photos and learn about how to spend the most lovely of days while you’re there.
- Journey To Middle Earth At The Wieliczka Salt Mine in Poland – Go deep underground on a journey to “Middle Earth” to see the Wieliczka Salt Mine in Poland, which includes a cathedral made entirely of salt.
- Poznan Restaurants for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner – The next time you’re visiting Poznan, Poland try out these delicious and tasty Poznan restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.
*Disclosure – This post contains some affiliate links. If you book a tour or hotel, I’ll earn a tiny commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!